Call for Applications
The Council on Anthropology and Education (CAE), a section of the American Anthropological Association (AAA), is pleased to announce the eleventh year of the CAE Concha Delgado Gaitán Presidential Fellows Program. This endowed fellowship program supports the professional development and mentoring of educational anthropologists early in their academic careers.
Up to eight fellowships will be awarded for the 2021-22 academic year. Each fellowship includes:
- The establishment of mentoring relationship with a senior scholar in the field of educational anthropology, including virtual meetings during the CAE meetings in November 2021.
- Participation in a professional learning community with the new cohort and previous presidential fellows and mentors.
- A travel grant to support attendance at the November 2021 American Anthropological Association Meetings.
Eligibility: Educational anthropologists who have completed their doctoral degrees by August 2021 and no earlier than 2018. International scholars are welcomed. Scholars from underrepresented groups and institutions are especially encouraged to apply.
Application Procedure: Applicants should submit the following materials in a single e-mail (except for the letter of recommendation) with the subject heading “CAE Presidential Fellows.”
- Curriculum vita.
- Statement of no more than two single-spaced pages, specifying scholarly and professional accomplishments (including community engagement work if applicable), goals within the field of anthropology and education, previous involvement with CAE or AAA (if any), and areas in which mentoring will be beneficial to the applicant.
- One letter of reference (please have it emailed directly to Sofia Villenas, with the subject heading: “CAE Fellows [Your Last Name]. In addition, please list the names of two other referees. The latter do not have to submit letters.
- Names of up to three active senior scholars in the CAE community with whom the applicant would benefit from a mentoring relationship.
The Concha Delgado Gaitán CAE Presidential Fellowships support early-career educational anthropologists in ways that contribute to their success within the academy or broader communities of education policy and practice. In your statement describe: What are the central concerns and questions you address in your work? How does your scholarly and professional work contribute to CAE’s mission? What would you contribute to the cohort of fellows, if you are selected, and to the larger CAE community? Think about your contributions in terms of the things you know and care about, and how you would bring those perspectives to the work. What mentoring supports do you think might help you to make such contributions?
Selection procedure: Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee of established CAE scholars, chaired by the immediate past president of CAE. The review process considers the quality of the application, the fit between CAE’s mission and the applicant’s work, and the potential benefits of mentoring. The selection committee will seek to ensure that a broad range of interests are represented within the selected cohort.
Application Deadline: October 1, 2021
Applicants notified by: October 15, 2021
Submit applications to: Sofia Villenas, Past President of CAE