Council on Anthropology and Education/Studies in Educational Ethnography
Travel Award Announcement
About the CAE/SEE Travel Award
Council on Anthropology and Education (a section of the American Anthropological Association) announce a new travel award in partnership with the book series, Studies in Educational Ethnography(published by Emerald Publishing Ltd).
Each year, as part of the as part of the American Anthropological Association conference, one proposed paper will be selected by a CAE/SEE travel award committee to provide up to $300 to support that selected author’s travel to the conference. This year, we are selecting two papers. The stipend may be used to support authors’ travel to the conference or virtual attendance. The selected recipients will also receive a complimentary copy of a book of their choice from the Studies in Educational Ethnographyseries.
If the selected winner is in the early stages of their career, then the editorial team will arrange for the scholar to be paired with an expert member of the book series’ Editorial Advisory Board or other senior scholar in the field in order to provide the scholar with feedback on and support on improving their paper. If suitable, the author will also be invited to submit the paper to a future volume of Studies in Educational Ethnography.
The travel awardee will be chosen based upon the following criteria:
- Acceptance of the paper for presentation at the annual conference
- Membership in CAE
- Junior scholar status (within 5 years of Ph.D.)
- Originality and promise of paper to ongoing educational ethnographic work
Eligibility and Application Process
CAE members should submit the following materials by Monday, Nov. 8. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading CAE-SEE.
- Letter or statement of application describing travel need, proof of paper acceptance to attend the annual conference, and the promise of the paper for ongoing educational ethnographic work
- 2-page vita with relevance to CAE/SEE Travel Award
Shirley Brice Heath New CAE Scholar Travel Stipend
AAA Annual Meetings, November 17-21, 2021, Baltimore, MD
To support participation in its activities and annual meetings, the Council on Anthropology of Education (CAE) awards stipends to New Scholars (graduate students or recent graduates) who are selected to present a CAE-sponsored paper or poster. The stipends are intended to help defray expenses associated with participating in the annual meetings. The awarded stipends total $250 each. Individuals are eligible to receive the stipend only one time, and first-time presenters will receive priority. Presenters who are choosing to attend the annual meeting in-person or virtually are eligible to apply for this award in 2021. Preference is given to individuals from underrepresented US groups who meet the criteria below. Applicants are invited to name their membership in any group(s) they belong to that they believe warrant consideration as underrepresented in the field of educational anthropology.
The winning awardees will be notified prior to the AAA meetings, and the awards will be formally announced in conjunction with the AAA meeting. The monetary award will be dispersed via electronic check. We welcome submissions from applicants of all citizenship statuses who are practicing anthropologists, regardless of where you are located on the globe.
* Priority given to members of CAE
* New Scholar (graduate student or recent graduate)
* First author on a paper or poster selected for presentation in a CAE-sponsored session (virtual or in-person
* Priority given to new scholars from an underrepresented group
* Priority given to first-time presenters
* Priority given to members of AAA
1. Eligibility (see above)
2. Financial need as described in application
3. Abstract of paper or poster demonstrates high quality/rigor, clarity, and contributes to CAE’s mission of advancing positive social/educational change (i.e., work that promotes anti-oppressive, socially equitable, and racially just solutions to educational problems)
Only complete applications are eligible for consideration.
October 15, 2021 (via email)
You can download the application here:
Please submit your completed Shirley Brice Heath New CAE Scholar Travel Stipend application via email at: email@example.com
Please direct any questions to Ariana Mangual Figueroa, Ph.D. at firstname.lastname@example.org
Associate Professor, CUNY Graduate Center, Ph.D. Programs in Urban Education and LAILAC
Council on Anthropology of Education Second-Year Member-at Large
Chair, Shirley Brice Heath New CAE Scholar Travel Stipend